Welcome to the online home of Canadian composer Stuart Beatch.
Use the navigation above to read more about my music, to purchase scores, and to contact me directly.
- August 2017: It has been a busy and eventful summer! June saw the premiere of Prairie Bound by the irrepressible Pro Coro Canada and conductor Michael Zaugg. In July, Voices of Vimy received its emotional first performance by the BBC Singers with conductor Daniel Cook and cellist Jamie Walton (with performances by Pro Coro and the Choir of Selwyn College, Cambridge still forthcoming), and I made the journey to Barcelona to attend the World Symposium on Choral Music! I've also been invited to contribute to a recording project with a new London-based chamber choir, Lumen. Of course, this was all in addition to completing my Master of Music degree at King's College London. Time to get back to composing!
- May 2017: Some exciting performances in the coming months! On 1 June, Pro Coro Canada will premiere my piece Prairie Bound, an ecstatic and fiery choral anthem, at the Edmonton International Choral Festival under the direction of Michael Zaugg. Later, on 15 July, the BBC Singers take on my newest project: Voices of Vimy, a collaborative work written with composer Tom Harrold and poet Grahame Davies. Although I've been scribbling away at instrumental music the past few months (a piano cycle and an orchestral tone poem will make an appearance shortly...), I'm looking forward to some positive choral experiences!
- March 2017: Last month's labour finally bears fruit! You can now hear recordings on this site from three of my recent works: Variations, Sonatina, and The Annunciation of Solomon. As well, my music finally reaches British Columbia for the first time (!) on 7 April, as the Vancouver-based musica intima premieres my impossibly-difficult choral work The Ascension of Ganymede in a public workshop. Mark your calendars if you're in the area!
- February 2017: A busy couple of weeks ahead: Londoners will soon be treated to the European Premiere of my little choral work, I loved you first, on 17 February, thanks to the irrepressible The Fourth Choir and conductor Dominic Peckham! As well, I'll be trekking across the UK to work with the St Salvator's Chapel Choir in St Andrews, Scotland with Sir James MacMillan (no pressure) on The Annunciation of Solomon, and then a private workshop with members of the London-based ensemble Lontano on my Variations. Exciting!
- January 2017: Happy New Year! I've completed three new works over the last couple months, which I'm happy to share with you now: Variations for mixed quintet, Sonatina for two violins, and The Annunciation of Solomon for SSATB choir and organ. Please go take a look!
- November 2016: Just recently, I received a joint commission from Pro Coro Canada and the John Armitage Memorial for a piece commemorating the centenary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge (1917), in collaboration with composer Tom Harrold and poet Grahame Davies. To spark off our project, we travelled to the Canadian National Vimy Memorial for their Remembrance Day ceremony - an incredibly moving experience, and I can't wait to see how this project unfolds.