Welcome to the online home of Canadian composer Stuart Beatch.
Use the navigation above to read more about my music, to purchase scores, and to contact me directly.
- March 2018: The past season has been a productive time for composition! I'm extremely pleased to announce that I am the new composer-in-residence for the London-based LGBT chamber choir, The Fourth Choir! This is an exciting time for me, and I've already finished my first commission for their ensemble: I am like many, a dramatic choral scene on the Wolfenden Report. See the score here, and hear The Fourth Choir on 19 May at Senate House Library as part of their Queer Between the Covers exhibition. Also, this month sees the launch of my first ever recording: The Annunciation of Solomon has been included by the St Salvator's Chapel Choir in their brand-new CD, Annunciations. Finally, be sure to catch the London premiere of Voices of Vimy by the Choir of Selwyn College, Cambridge as part of the John Armitage Memorial's Music of Our Time concert on 22 March!
- August 2017: It has been a busy and eventful summer! June saw the premiere of Prairie Bound by the irrepressible Pro Coro Canada and conductor Michael Zaugg. In July, Voices of Vimy received its emotional first performance by the BBC Singers with conductor Daniel Cook and cellist Jamie Walton (with performances by Pro Coro and the Choir of Selwyn College, Cambridge still forthcoming), and I made the journey to Barcelona to attend the World Symposium on Choral Music! I've also been invited to contribute to a recording project with a new London-based chamber choir, Lumen. Of course, this was all in addition to completing my Master of Music degree at King's College London. Time to get back to composing!
- May 2017: Some exciting performances in the coming months! On 1 June, Pro Coro Canada will premiere my piece Prairie Bound, an ecstatic and fiery choral anthem, at the Edmonton International Choral Festival under the direction of Michael Zaugg. Later, on 15 July, the BBC Singers take on my newest project: Voices of Vimy, a collaborative work written with composer Tom Harrold and poet Grahame Davies. Although I've been scribbling away at instrumental music the past few months (a piano cycle and an orchestral tone poem will make an appearance shortly...), I'm looking forward to some positive choral experiences!
- March 2017: Last month's labour finally bears fruit! You can now hear recordings on this site from three of my recent works: Variations, Sonatina, and The Annunciation of Solomon. As well, my music finally reaches British Columbia for the first time (!) on 7 April, as the Vancouver-based musica intima premieres my impossibly-difficult choral work The Ascension of Ganymede in a public workshop. Mark your calendars if you're in the area!
- February 2017: A busy couple of weeks ahead: Londoners will soon be treated to the European Premiere of my little choral work, I loved you first, on 17 February, thanks to the irrepressible The Fourth Choir and conductor Dominic Peckham! As well, I'll be trekking across the UK to work with the St Salvator's Chapel Choir in St Andrews, Scotland with Sir James MacMillan (no pressure) on The Annunciation of Solomon, and then a private workshop with members of the London-based ensemble Lontano on my Variations. Exciting!